Friday, March 4, 2016

Absent, but this apology is not.

It's been a couple of years since I updated this blog. I've been going through a lot of medical situations, and I know that I can take care of some of my problems by writing again. I'm sorry that I've been very low on energy.

The various medications that I've taken have caused a few real problems with regard to side effects. I don't want to inflict those side effects upon others. After talking to doctors and other friends, it became obvious that taking some of the pain medications caused me to lose balance and break other stuff.

I broke my left humerus in September, 2014, and had a nail, some screws and other miscellaneous parts installed. After 14 months of constant pain that physical therapy could not address, I had surgery to remove all of the parts. The doctor had offered cortisone shots, and also presented the less reliable surgery - remove all of the junk with only a 30% chance of success. I told him to go with the less likely option. After the operation, I had improved movement and less pain. I felt that I could rotate my left forearm enough to play violin (and discovered a few weeks ago that I can, but I REALLY need to practice). My efforts at playing bass had been moderately successful, and my playing has improved after the second surgery. As I've said, music keeps me alive.

A down side is that I'm now having pain in my right shoulder and ribs in addition to the left. I had subacromial decompression surgery on the rt. a number of years ago, and it appears to be necessary again. I have to see the doctor again. Living in constant pain is rather distracting, and my life and the lives of all around me are affected.

I have literal and emotional pain dealing with the results of many accidents through the years, and I don't wan't others to suffer through my injuries. Having others focus on my pain does nothing to remove it from me, but may (and I don't want this) cause others to suffer, while doing nothing useful for any of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment