Wednesday, June 15, 2016

My command in the USAF

When I took my Army physical, I also got my first command. The Private who gave me my papers also gave me the records for seven other Air Force recruits, and he complimented me on my entrance exam grades 99th percentile in all areas except administration, where I only scored 80th percentile. We were headed to San Antonio but a situation occurred when we were set to switch planes in Dallas/Fort Worth.

The attendant told me that we were all bumped from the airline (Ozark), and had to wait about four hours to get a plane to San Antonio. I immediately remembered the Airline evaluation Service sheet. I pulled it out and started filling it out in front of the employee. When I got to the part to identify him, he called his supervisor and said, "deep shit problem." They didn't want to piss off the U.S. Air Force.

We all got on the next flight to San Antonio. Dale White and I got First Class seats. One recruit was was deathly afraid of flying. I told him he'd be declared AWOL if I showed up without him at Lackland Air Force Base. I guessed that he preferred Air Force duty to riding around in a Swift Boat in the Mekong Delta, so he closed his eyes and came aboard

And that was my only command in the USAF. After the first medical exam in the USAF, the doctor asked me, "How did you get in here?" I replied, "US Army physical in Chicago." They shipped me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment