Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Everybody needs a Mister Wagner in their life

When my mother moved to California to live with her sister, I rented a corner of my uncle's basement. I was 17. Someone discovered that I had no legal guardian, and turned me in to the school district.

The Dean of Students, Mr. Wagner, called me in to his office to tell me that I would have to pay tuition as an out of state student because Mom was living with her sister, Alice, in Los Angeles, California.  This happened in October, the last year of my high school enrollment.

He thought about it for a half a minute. Then he told me that the paper work would take some time. Then he told me that he would make sure that it would disappear until I had graduated.

I never got a chance to tell him that I loved him for doing that.


1 comment:

  1. Kudos to Mr. Wagner. Enlightened Dean! I suspect you weren't living there because it was such a great basement. Nor was your mother probably living wit her sister because she liked her cooking. Maybe it was because your family lost housing. Kids in this situation shouldn't have a hard time getting into/staying in school. But they often do. That is why we try to let as many people as possible know about the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act. Here's more info. http://www.hearus.us/understanding-homelessness/homeless-education.html

    ReplyDelete